I turn 36 this year, and I have been reflecting on the many things my life has taught me. I decided to compile a list of things I think are important and if you have any edits or things to add I would love to see them
1. Let it Go. There is nothing in this life that is worth the energy it takes to hate. It pays to be the bigger person and just let it go.
2. Believe in karma. You get back what you put out. If you are going to be a lying, cheating, POS, you are going to get what is coming to you. Also, if you encounter one of these people in your life, know they are going to get theirs(ties in with Let it Go).
3. Drink water, exercise, get sunlight. Even if you are skinny, don’t take that for granted. Exercise to be strong. It will help you in the future.
4. Travel, make rash decisions, know you are not taking money to the grave. Find what makes you happy and hold onto it. I think a lot of misery is life comes from letting your passions fall by the wayside.
5. Be yourself. That is a multifaceted statement. Dress how you want to dress, get married, don’t get married, have kids, don’t have kids, only have one, prioritize work, or work to live. Live how you want to live and love who you want. But be respectful, don’t push your beliefs and don’t expect others to change theirs because of you.
6. Commit. Whatever you decide you are going to do, be committed. You are making decisions with your life, there are going to be highs and lows. If you are married, act married, you are part of a team and no longer the only player. If you are a parent, be involved in everything. If you adopt, buy or find a pet they are a part of your life now.
7. Forgive yourself. Quite simple, you are going to make mistakes. Own it, take responsibility and forgive yourself.
8. Have faith, hope, pray. I am not pushing religion on you, but in my experience life is better when you believe in something bigger than yourself. I have developed a more intimate relationship with God and I have been much happier.
9. Be the example. Someone is watching you, someone is following your lead. If you are a parent lead by example, read instead of watching tv, get outside so you aren’t living on your couch, love yourself and others, help others, forgive, know that not every action requires a response.
10. Laugh, cry, feel, love. Life is better when you truly live it. Put yourself out there, get hurt, fall in love, set goals and achieve them. Wish upon a star and work to attain that wish.
11. Be creative. Find a creative outlet in life, art, writing, music, build something. It just has to be for you, no one else